On the two-year anniversary of the ban on girlsí education in Afghanistan, Amnesty International has requested the Islamic Emirate to take immediate action to reopen secondary schools for girls.
Amnesty International added that the future and dreams of thousands of Afghan girls are at stake, and itís been two years since the ban on girlsí access to secondary school in Afghanistan and the situation remains the same.
Today, Monday, September 18 (27 Sonbula), two years have passed since the Islamic Emirate banned girls from attending secondary and high schools in Afghanistan.
UN Secretary-General António Guterres said that Monday marks two years since girls were banned from attending high school in Afghanistan.
Guterres added that this is an unjustifiable violation of human rights that inflicts long-lasting damage on the entire country.
The Secretary-General of the UN added that girls belong in school. "Let them back in," Guterres said.
Two years ago today, the Islamic Emirate announced that the classes for girls above the sixth grade were closed until a "second order."
Meanwhile, the acting minister of higher education, Neda Mohammad Nadim, said that the Islamic Emirate is not against modern science but is determined to take a better step in the field of education and with the capacity-building of universities in the country.
Speaking at a meeting in Ghor province, Nadim added that in the past twenty years, there has been much distance between religious schools and universities, and the Islamic Emirate is working to remove these distances.
In these two years, the Islamic Emirate has emphasized the need to create a solution to reopen schools and universities for girls, but so far the solution has not been universal.