Kidnappers have released 19 hostages out of the group of 31 they abducted about two months before in southern Zabul province.
Heads of the provincial councils of Zabul and Ghazni provinces who are mediating the release say that the 19 hostages were set free this morning.
Khaliqdad Akbari, head of the provincial council of Ghazni province says that these 19 hostages were exchanged in the jurisdiction of Jaghori District.
He said that arrangements were being made to transport these people to the district center from where they were released. Akbari added that the newly released hostages are on their way to the district center.
Ata Jan Haqbaya, head of the provincial council of southern Zabul province who is another mediator has also confirm the release.
Haqbayan had earlier said that two of the hostages have died in the custody of the kidnappers.
The release of the remaining hostages is reportedly under discussion.
These civilians were traveling on Kabul-Kandahar highway when unidentified gunmen stopped their buses in the jurisdiction of Shah Joy District of southern Zabul province and kidnapped them on gun point on the afternoon of February 23.
Taliban have rejected hand in the abduction but Mohammad Mohaqiq the Deputy Chief Executive Officer said that ISIS or Daesh was behind the kidnapping.