ABOUT US  |  CONTACT US  |  RSS  |  ARCHIVE  |  2021-09-21  |  UPDATED: 1400/06/27 - 17:12:4 FA | AR | PS | EN
PIA runs first chartered commercial flight to Afghanistan             Afghan Education Ministry to Modify Curriculum             6 in 10 Americans say US ígone off on wrong trackí: Poll             US Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman: America would work with Taliban on Daesh-K             US lawlessness, Europe inaction responsible for status quo surrounding JCPOA: Iran FM             After Ida, small recovery signs amid daunting destruction             McConnell: Biden not going to be removed from office             Fighting Continues Between Taliban, Resistance Forces             Taliban Expected to Announce New Govt Soon             Biden Defends Decision to Withdraw From Afghanistan             Taliban accuse US of destroying equipment including helicopters             Qatar warns isolating Taliban could further destabilize Afghanistan             India announces first formal meeting with Taliban             Pentagon: China will soon surpass Russia as top nuclear threat             US warns citizens to Ďimmediatelyí leave Kabul airport            


DATE PUBLISHED: 1400/05/11 - 12:35:4
VISIT: 326
SHARE WITH YOUR FRIENDS

Nigeriaís Kaduna state seeks to foil Zakzakyís release by filing new charge: Lawyer


This file photo shows Nigerian Shia scholar Sheikh Ibrahim al-Zakzaky following his release from prison on July 28, 2021.

A prominent Nigerian lawyer and human rights activist has revealed that the Kaduna state government has hastily filed a new charge against Sheikh Ibrahim Zakzaky, leader of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria, and his wife in a desperate move to block their release.

Femi Falana, who led Sheikh Zakzakyís defense team, said in a Sunday statement that contrary to reports that a new charge of terrorism and treasonable felony was filed after the Kaduna State High Court ordered the release of the elderly couple, it had been "hurriedly filed" on July 26 - two days prior to the ruling -- in a desperate bid by the Kaduna state government to "frustrate the release of the defendants from further incarceration."

"In other words, the new charge was maliciously filed when the Kaduna state government anticipated that the ruling fixed for July 28 in respect to our no-case submission would succeed," Falana was quoted by local media.

The lawyer further underlined that as soon as the new charge was filed, "the bailiff of the federal high court was commanded to rush to the Kaduna correctional center to serve same on the defendants."

"But the defendants refused to accept service of the charge and directed the bailiff to serve it on them through their Counsel. But for reasons best known to the Kaduna state government, the charge was not served on the defense counsel," Falana noted.

The development came after the high court in Nigeriaís central state of Kaduna on Wednesday acquitted Sheikh Zakzaky and his wife, Mallimah Zeenat, of all the charges levelled against them back in 2015 and ordered them released.

The trial originally commenced on May 15, 2018, but dragged on for over three years, when the high court - presided by Judge Gideon Kurada -- eventually issued its final verdict on July 28.

"At last, we defeated them. we won," the coupleís jubilant attorney Ishaq Adam Ishaq said on Wednesday, adding, "They have gained their freedom. They are now freed and with us."

The couple were on trial on an eight-count phony indictment of alleged culpable homicide, disruption of public peace and unlawful assembly among others levelled against them by the Kaduna state government. They had pleaded not guilty to all the charges.

Further slamming state government efforts to block the release of Zakzaky and his wife, Falana added, "In apparent disregard of the epochal judgment of the Honorable Justice Gideon Kurada, the Kaduna state government seeks to subject the defendants to trial under the Terrorism Prevention Act enacted in 2011 for offenses that were allegedly committed as far back as 2008.

"But since the Kaduna state government is not sure that the defendants would be convicted for terrorism, the Director of Public Prosecution, Mr. Bayero, has announced that an appeal would be filed at the Court of Appeal against the Ruling of the Honorable Justice Gideon Kadura," he emphasized.

Falana, however, said the new charge or filing of the appeal would have no effect on the release of the defendants.

"Since the new charge has failed to achieve its oppressive objective of frustrating the release of the couple from further incarceration, we call on the Kaduna state government to discontinue it without any delay," the lawyer said.

Reacting to Sheikh Zakzakyís acquittal after nearly six years of brutal incarceration, the London-based prominent Islamic human rights activist, Massoud Shajareh, said on Thursday that the ruling exposed "the abject failure" of Abujaís incrimination campaign against the couple.

 

Calling the hearings that had led to their charges "a kangaroo court that was politically-charged," the head of the Islamic Human Rights Commission in London added, "There was no basis to it. And there was no other way except for him to be discharged, both him and his wife."

The government "failed to prove any case whatsoever like the previous time," he said.

In December 2015, Nigeriaís military launched a crackdown as part of a deadly state-ordered escalation targeting the Islamic Movement in Nigeria that Abuja has branded as illegal.

The campaign saw the troops attacking Zakzakyís residence in the town of Zaria in Kaduna, afflicting him and his wife with serious injuries that reportedly caused the cleric to lose his left eye.

During the crackdown, the military also attacked the movementís members as they were holding religious processions, with the government alleging that the Muslims had blocked a convoy of the countryís defense minister.

The violence led to the death of three of Zakzakyís sons and more than 300 of his followers.

 

 

LINK: https://www.ansarpress.com/english/23364


TAGS:






*
*

*



SEE ALSO

EUís Borrell says Taliban takeover of Afghanistan biggest event since Crimea


Terrorist blast kills at least two people in Somali capital


Over 300 killed in magnitude 7.2 quake in Haiti


Venezuelan government, opposition talks begin in Mexico City


Mexican president apologizes to indigenous for abuses during Spanish conquest


CIA plans íMission Center for Chinaí to counter Beijingís rise


Riot police fire tear gas at anti-government anarchists in Bangkok


Russia, China conclude massive anti-terror drills, vow closer alliance


Russia sends two ships to Iranís Bandar Anzali for Sea Cup competition


Helicopter with 16 people on board crashes in Russiaís Far East





VIEWED
MOST DISCUSSED




POLL

Modi, Merkel Discuss Afghanistan, Radicalisation And Terrorism

SEE RESULT


LAST NEWS

UN seeks $600 million to avert Afghanistan humanitarian crisis

PIA runs first chartered commercial flight to Afghanistan

Afghan Education Ministry to Modify Curriculum

6 in 10 Americans say US ígone off on wrong trackí: Poll

US Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman: America would work with Taliban on Daesh-K

US lawlessness, Europe inaction responsible for status quo surrounding JCPOA: Iran FM

After Ida, small recovery signs amid daunting destruction

McConnell: Biden not going to be removed from office

Fighting Continues Between Taliban, Resistance Forces

Taliban Expected to Announce New Govt Soon

Biden Defends Decision to Withdraw From Afghanistan

Taliban accuse US of destroying equipment including helicopters

Qatar warns isolating Taliban could further destabilize Afghanistan

India announces first formal meeting with Taliban

Pentagon: China will soon surpass Russia as top nuclear threat

US warns citizens to Ďimmediatelyí leave Kabul airport

US strikes Daesh after deadly Kabul attack

Panjshir: Massoud Wants to Talk But Ready to Fight

UK says has evacuated over 7,000 people from Afghanistan

OIC holds emergency meeting on Afghanistan

RSF presses Biden to evacuate journalists

Taliban to unveil new Afghan govt framework within weeks, official says

Greece completes wall extension on border as Afghan migrant fears grow

Biden Vows to íMobilize Every Resourceí for Evacuations

Afghan Women to Taliban: íInclude Us In Your Govtí

Taliban seeks intíl assistance for rebuilding Afghanistan

EUís Borrell says Taliban takeover of Afghanistan biggest event since Crimea

Pentagon DOES NOT KNOW how many Americans are still in Afghanistan, or how many were among the 7,000 evacuated so far

Terrorist blast kills at least two people in Somali capital

Taliban call on the world to recognize their movement

Turkey Still Aims to Maintain Kabul Airport Security: Erdogan

IMF Blocks Afghanistanís Access to Emergency Reserves

Taliban Says Governing Structure May Include Council

Biden seeks ways to speed up evacuations from Afghanistan

Afghan Female Journalists Ask Taliban for Right to Work

Biden should take peopleís money seriously and question Afghan military top brass (including Ghani) who gave them orders not to fight Taliban

Ghaniís remarks spark widespread reaction

Afghan delegation meets with Pakistanís prime minister

Ross Wilson says reports of US embassy closing are not true

Taliban spokesman Mujahid holds first press conference in Kabul


MEDICAL NEWS


ANSAR PRESS ©  |  ABOUT US  |  CONTACT US  |  MOBILE VERSION  |  LINKS  |  DESIGN: Negah Network Co.
All right reserved. Use this website by mentioning the source (link) is allowed. ›—ś‘ź«Ś «یš —š ی šŕŠ»šŌ«š