ABOUT US  |  CONTACT US  |  RSS  |  ARCHIVE  |  2021-08-03  |  UPDATED: 1400/05/12 - 00:35:1 FA | AR | PS | EN
Fighting in Helmandís Capital Lashkargah Continues for 5th Day            Lebanese army detains 2 men after deadly funeral attack            Inquest: Convicted terrorist Sudesh Amman was released from prison despite holding Ďextremist viewsí            Nearly 30% in EU cannot afford a holiday: Study             US surpasses 35 million COVID-19 cases as health experts warn worst yet to come             Lebanonís Mikati says formation of new government slower than expected             Watch: Settler opens fire at Palestinians with Israeli soldierís rifle             Spokesman: Any adventurism will be met with Iranís immediate, powerful response             Cuban diplomat blasts Western media for íhugeí disinformation campaign             Official: Iran will give crushing response to any measure against its interests, national security             US gun violence: 5 killed, 50 shot in Chicago bloody weekend             587 New Cases of COVID-19, 30 Deaths Reported in Afghanistan             Chronic power shortages endanger health of Gazans: ICRC warns             Saudi regime Ďcovering upí poverty crisis, corruption, says report             Malaysiaís Mahathir, Anwar lead march on parliament to demand PM Muhyiddin resign            


DATE PUBLISHED: 2018/6/5 - 13:22:38
VISIT: 2063
SHARE WITH YOUR FRIENDS

Franceís PSA again reverses on Iran deal in deference to US

PSA, the maker of Peugeot and Citroen cars, has become the latest French company to suspend its joint venture activities in Iran, despite promising to stand its ground in the face of sanctions.

A statement attributed to the carmaker said PSA “began the process of suspending the activities of its JVs, in order to comply with US law by August 6, 2018” when the sanctions are about to snap-back into place.

PSA and its French rival Renault were among the first European companies which rushed to Iran to tap into a pent-up demand for new automobiles after sanctions were lifted on the country in 2016.

PSA has signed production deals worth 700 million euros with Iran, while Renault has announced a new plant investment to increase its production capacity in Iran to 350,000 vehicles a year.

Since the lifting of sanctions, French automakers have piled into Iran’s resurgent market, helping turn around a period of slipping sales which occurred when they left the country in 2012.

PSA reportedly sold 445,000 cars in Iran last year, mainly the supermini Peugeot 206 and the 405 family car. To put it into perspective, the company sold 3.63 million vehicles in total last year.


PSA to carry out Iran plans despite US threats
Franceís auto giant PSA Group says it is pushing ahead with a plan to invest in Iran’s auto industry despite the US administrationís increased anti-Iran rhetoric.

Data released by Renault also showed year-on-year growth of 54% in sales to Iran where the automaker sold 144,862 cars in the year up to November 2017.

Both Renault and Peugeot withdrew from Iran in 2012 when the country came under intensified Western sanctions.

Iran’s automotive industry officials had promised that the French companies would face a rough ride for their return to the country and that they would not be allowed to leave without retribution.  

“After the sanctions were imposed, Peugeot left the Iranian market in an unwise and ungracious move, leading to the layoff of more than 8,000 workers only in France,” Iran Khodro CEO Hashem Yekke-Zare said in July 2015.

“Hence, Peugeot must know that it has to account for its past behavior,” he added.

Whether the company was held to account when it returned to Iran is not clear, but PSA’s announcement on Monday to suspend its JV activities shows the two sides are back to square one again. 

Even before Trump withdrew the US from the nuclear deal in May, the French company dragged its feet on starting production of the Peugeot 2008 in Iran.


Peugeot delay on production line perplexes Iranians
The maker of Peugeots and Citroens announced a joint-venture worth 400 million euro ($450 million) with its former local partner Iran Khodro (IKCO) in Tehran in May.

The automaker announced a joint venture worth 400 million euros ($450 million) with Iran Khodro in May 2017 for the production of 200,000 cars per year in Tehran, but the plan never started.  

PSA’s retreat, even though it doesn’t have a significant presence in the US, follows similar moves by French energy companies Total and Engie in response to Trump’s decision.

They have pulled back despite pledges by European governments, including in Paris, to compensate the companies that might be facing US sanctions.

PSA said it was asking the US for a waiver, with the support of the French government. Total CEO Patrick Pouyanne, however, said last week that the chances of winning exemptions to the US sanctions were "very slim".

 

LINK: https://www.ansarpress.com/english/10038


TAGS:






*
*

*



SEE ALSO

UK government failing to Ďreshoreí jobs from overseas: Labour


Iranís July exports steady as OPEC pumps record crude: Report


Nearly 6 in 10 Americans blame Bidenís policies for inflation spike: Poll


650,000 UK firms in Ďserious financial distressí despite ending of lockdown: Experts


Government Stops Budget to Development Projects


Boeing 777X írealisticallyí wonít win certification approval before mid-2023: US FAA


Business group urges Biden to lift Europe travel ban, revive economies


Iran turns a corner with production from giant oil layer


US unveils criminal charges against two Israelis in insider trader scheme


Developer officially cancels Keystone XL pipeline project blocked by Biden





VIEWED
MOST DISCUSSED




POLL

Modi, Merkel Discuss Afghanistan, Radicalisation And Terrorism

SEE RESULT


LAST NEWS

US and UK accuse Taliban of possible war crimes

Fighting in Helmandís Capital Lashkargah Continues for 5th Day

Lebanese army detains 2 men after deadly funeral attack

Inquest: Convicted terrorist Sudesh Amman was released from prison despite holding Ďextremist viewsí

Nearly 30% in EU cannot afford a holiday: Study

US surpasses 35 million COVID-19 cases as health experts warn worst yet to come

Lebanonís Mikati says formation of new government slower than expected

Watch: Settler opens fire at Palestinians with Israeli soldierís rifle

Spokesman: Any adventurism will be met with Iranís immediate, powerful response

Cuban diplomat blasts Western media for íhugeí disinformation campaign

Official: Iran will give crushing response to any measure against its interests, national security

US gun violence: 5 killed, 50 shot in Chicago bloody weekend

587 New Cases of COVID-19, 30 Deaths Reported in Afghanistan

Chronic power shortages endanger health of Gazans: ICRC warns

Saudi regime Ďcovering upí poverty crisis, corruption, says report

Malaysiaís Mahathir, Anwar lead march on parliament to demand PM Muhyiddin resign

Online debate erupts over Qatar-Bahrain territorial dispute

UK government failing to Ďreshoreí jobs from overseas: Labour

Houses of Parliament issue joint declaration in support of Republic system

Ghani addresses joint parliament session, tells MPs to mobilize their people

Southern provinces witness intense battles as Taliban pushes for more ground

Russian and Uzbek militaries begin joint Afghan border drills

ĎWeird making her border czar didnít workí: Kamala Harris thrashed as polling shows sheís historically Ďunpopularí VP

Bipartisan group of senators unveils $1 trillion infrastructure bill after marathon negotiations

Belarusian athlete Timanovskaya Ďsafe & secureí in Tokyo after refusing to fly home as Polish & Czech officials offer help

Nigeriaís Kaduna state seeks to foil Zakzakyís release by filing new charge: Lawyer

North Korean leaderís sister slams planned Seoul-Washington military drills

Washington and Moscow in talks to prevent potential confrontation

US Democrats call on Biden to extend expired eviction moratorium through october

Scuffles in Berlin as íQuerdenkerí protesters rally against COVID restrictions

US, UK join Israel in accusing Iran of tanker attack, give green signal for Ďresponseí

Ex-US diplomat to Mexico sexually abused, photographed unconscious women for years

Police could soon be able to sue protesters in NY county

Sword of al-Quds not our last battle against Israel: Islamic Jihad

Alleged gang attack leaves 10 injured in NYC

15 Niger troops killed in ambush, subsequent blast

Los Angeles criminalizes being homeless in the city

U.S. to begin new Afghan refugee program

Resistance front exposed Israelís vulnerability in tanker attack: Journalist

US sues Texas after it blocks transport of migrants in state


MEDICAL NEWS


ANSAR PRESS ©  |  ABOUT US  |  CONTACT US  |  MOBILE VERSION  |  LINKS  |  DESIGN: Negah Network Co.
All right reserved. Use this website by mentioning the source (link) is allowed. ›—ś‘ź«Ś «یš —š ی šŕŠ»šŌ«š