google.com, pub-6867310892380113, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 ** ** **
|
US agencies urge revocation of ability of China Telecom to operate in US
The Trump administration is seeking to block China Telecom from operating in the United States, claiming that the company is creating substantial and unacceptable national security and law enforcement risks for the US. Several federal agencies Thursday urged the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to revoke China Telecom (Americas) Corps authorization to offer international telecommunications services to and from the United States. The agencies, including Justice, Homeland Security, Defense, State, Commerce, and the United States Trade Representative, cited substantial and unacceptable national security and law enforcement risks associated with China Telecoms operations. The move against China Telecom, the US subsidiary of a Chinese state-owned company, is the latest example of how the White House is seeking to rid the US telecommunications industry of any dependence on China. Last year, the FCC was pressed by two US senators - Democrat Chuck Schumer of New York and Republican Tom Cotton of Arkansas - to review approvals of China Telecom and China Unicom to operate in the United States. In a unanimous vote last May, the FCC denied another state-owned Chinese telecommunications company, China Mobile Ltd, the right to provide services in the United States over what it claimed was risks that the Chinese government might use the approval to carry out espionage activities against the US government. At the time, the FCC said it was looking at the licenses of China Telecom and China Unicom. China Telecom (Americas), however, dismissed the allegations, saying it has been extremely cooperative and transparent with regulators. In many instances, we have gone beyond what has been requested to demonstrate how our business operates and serves our customers following the highest international standards, the company said in a statement. We look forward to sharing additional details to support our position and addressing any concerns. Some US policymakers see Beijing and Chinese company Huawei, the worlds largest telecoms equipment maker, as serious threats to Americas national security and technology dominance. The Commerce Department in May placed Huawei on a trade blacklist, citing national security concerns. That allowed the US government to restrict sales of US-made goods to the company and a small number of items made abroad that contain US technology.
SOURCE: PRESS TV
Readers comments
You are the first person to comment on this article. Comments are displayed after verification. |
|
Ansar Press; Free and independent with impartial reports from the world at the service of the people |
U.S
Afghanistan
Iran
International
Social
Economic
Articles |
Athletic
Read
Science
Medical
Interview
Art and Culture
Travel |
About Us
Contact Us
Advertise with Us |





